Cortisol and aldosterone are two important hormones secreted by adrenal glands. Cortisol plays important role in metabolism of macronutrients. Aldosterone plays important role in regulating sodium/potassium/water balance and Blood pressure regulation. Adrenal gland disorders can result in high or low levels of cortisol / aldosterone/both.
- Adrenal gland disorders can present with
- Severe resistant hypertension
- Hypertension at young age
- Hypokalemia / hyperkalemia
- Excess weight gain / weight loss etc
Adrenal gland disorders can be diagnosed with blood tests, ultrasound / CT scan / MRI scan of adrenal glands. Adrenal gland disorders can be treated effectively medically / surgically depending on specific disorder.