Reproductive and sexual function is controlled by pituitary and sex hormones. These hormones are essential for sexual development and fertility.
Pituitary hormones LH and FSH control function of testes in men and ovary in women. Testes produce male sex hormone testosterone and sperms. Ovary makes egg and female sex hormone estrogen.
Disorders of reproductive system can present with following symptoms
- Abnormal sex development in newborn and children
- Late or early puberty
- Erectile dysfunction
- Irregular menstrual periods
Diagnosis and treatment of reproductive disorders
- Useful tests to diagnose these disorders are
- Serum testosterone/estradiol/LH/FSH
- USG Pelvis/scrotum
- Semen analysis
- MRI pituitary gland
- GnRH stimulation test
- Most of cases are managed medically with hormonal therapy. Few cases may require surgical treatment depending on case scenario.